Many homeowners don’t give their windows a lot of thought until they need new ones. Unless you have a window get broken in some kind of incident or you notice sky-high utility bills for an extended period of time, you may not even consider what types of windows are on the market — or even what window styles you already have in your home!
At some point or another, though, there comes a point when nearly all North Carolina and South Carolina homeowners — and homeowners all across America — have to acknowledge that they need to have replacement windows installed. If you are in this situation now, the Hatch Homes team is here to help. Below, you’ll discover five key benefits to choosing double-hung windows over single-hung models.
- There are more airflow options available – Single-hung windows have a single operable sash; this means they can only be opened one way — the bottom sash, in most cases, slides up in a vertical direction. On double-hung windows, however, both the top and bottom sashes move — this means you can allow airflow into your home in several different ways.
- They offer better value over time – While many homeowners simply look for the lowest price when they go to purchase replacement windows, the least expensive option isn’t necessarily the best value. As a matter of fact, single-hung windows are often priced about 20% less than double-hung models, but they don’t provide nearly the level of value over time that double-hung windows are able to. This is, in part, due to the fact that they offer fewer ventilation choices and are significantly harder to clean effectively (more on this next).
- They are easier to clean – As noted immediately above, double-hung windows are much easier to clean than their single-hung counterparts. This is because they open at both the top and the bottom, so it is possible to tilt the pane so both the interior and the exterior can be cleaned without a great deal of effort — you also won’t have to go outside! A win-win.
- They are great for bathrooms – Because double-hung windows provide more ventilation than single-hung options, they are ideal for bathrooms and other spaces that tend to become humid. Because the Carolinas have balmy weather, especially in the spring and summer months, having the extra ventilation that double-hung windows provide is a welcome feature in nearly any room of a house.
- They can help you save money – Even though double-hung windows cost more than single-hung ones at first, they will save you money over time. Double-hung windows can help you save money on your utility bills due to their improved ventilation options when compared to single-hung windows.
If you are ready to have new windows put into your Carolina home, look no further than Hatch Homes for assistance with your project! We are here to ensure you have the best possible home renovation experience, and our expert team will answer all of your questions, whether you know exactly which windows you want already or you don’t even know where to begin.