Homeowners insurance is an absolute necessity. It provides peace of mind and allows people like you to get financial assistance when unexpected circumstances of all kinds arise. Whether, for instance, a natural disaster strikes or your family is victimized by a break-in, your insurance agency will be there to assist you.
If you’ve never had to file a roof-related homeowners insurance claim before, you’ve come to the right place for guidance. The next section of this guide features five useful tips that will help you get your claim approved quickly and easily. Remember, this isn’t rocket science; the less you stress, the simpler the whole process will be!
- Check for damage in the aftermath of storms – When Charlotte, NC and the surrounding area experience severe weather, homeowners like you should carefully check for roof damage afterward. The sooner you notice and document roof problems, the easier it will be for your homeowner’s insurance company to verify your claim and issue your payout.
- Contact your insurance company right away – As soon as you know you’re going to be filing a roof-related insurance claim, you should get in-touch with the agency that supplies your homeowner’s insurance policy. Whether you work with an agent locally in Charlotte or you contact your company’s national call center, it’s important to let them know you will be filing a claim and find out any specific photos or documentation they need. By doing this early in the process, you’ll be able to submit all of the necessary components together, which will save time in the long run.
- Take photographs of any known damage – Even the most minor roof damage (like a peeling shingle) should be documented, particularly after a weather event. While you can certainly take photos of obvious damage yourself, it’s a good idea to contact the expert team at Hatch Homes to help you with this process. One of our skilled roofers will be able to make sure you take pictures of everything that is wrong with your roof prior to filing your insurance claim and having your new roof installed. Also, make sure you take any photographs your insurance company specifically asked for!
- Work with a roofing contractor who understands insurance claims – At Hatch Homes, we take pride in the fact that our team knows how to help homeowners who are in the midst of insurance claims. We know that it can take some time to get your payout and we will never rush you to start a job before you’re ready! Our team will treat you with respect and compassion as you work through this sometimes tedious process.
- Know what a contingency contract is and how to avoid one – In some cases, roofing contractors ask homeowners to sign contracts when they perform consultations. This practice is not necessarily on the up-and-up. We assure you that Hatch Homes will never ask you to put your signature on any documents until you are ready to start your roof replacement project.
The Hatch Homes team looks forward to working with you and wants you to know will help you in any way we can while you go through the claims process. We are excited to install a roof that will keep you and your family safe from the elements for many years to come.