If you’re planning to have new siding put on your house in the near future, you’ve probably started considering which local contractors you want to get quotes from. It’s a good idea to meet with representatives from at least three reputable contracting companies before you make your final decision. Not only will this allow you to see how each business interacts with its clients, but it will give you several prices to compare.
To make things even easier on yourself, it’s wise to have specific questions you ask every time you’re getting a quote. The answers that various siding contractors give to your inquiries could help you decide which ones is the right choice for your project. A selection of key questions is showcased for you in this guide.
- Does my siding really need to be replaced? – In some cases, such as after hail damage occurs, only certain siding boards are actually damaged. If you’ve only recently had siding put on, it is possible that the color is still being manufactured and your contractor can simply repair the damaged areas, rather than replacing everything. If, however, you have older siding or the color has already started to fade, you’re probably looking at a replacement job, rather than a repair job.
- What sort of material is right for our lifestyle? – Different types of siding are right for different types of homes. Throughout the Carolinas, there are a variety of climates, so what works for one homeowner may not work for another. People who live in wooded regions, for example, may want to consider fiber cement siding, as it is resistant to pests. A good contractor will be able to hear about your lifestyle and make educated recommendations based on your wants and needs.
- Can you give me a general idea of how my siding will look? – Typically, reliable siding contractors have portfolios or online galleries of their past jobs. If you’re leaning towards a certain kind of siding, but haven’t yet made a final decision, it’s a good idea to ask to see photos of other houses with similar siding styles. This will help you visualize what your house will look like at the end of your remodeling project.
- Will my preferred siding work in our neighborhood? – Your contractor may have knowledge of certain neighborhood regulations that you don’t; this is especially true in places that have homeowners’ associations. It’s also a good question to ask if you’re just worried that your home will stick out like a sore thumb if you don’t go with siding that is similar to what is already on the other homes in your immediate vicinity. In the end, though, as long as you aren’t breaking any HOA bylaws, you should go with what you love!
- How much do you expect the job to cost? – While it is impossible for any contractor to give an estimate that is 100% accurate because of surprise expenses, material cost changes, and other factors, most quotes are pretty close to the actual cost of a job. It is important to get a written comprehensive estimate from every contractor you meet with, so you can make a financially savvy decision when the time comes to hire a siding installer.
The team at Hatch Homes has been installing siding for families all over the Carolinas for years. We charge fair rates and provide quick, accurate estimates. Furthermore, our staff will assist you every step of the way, whether you have questions about the installation process or you need help picking materials. If you would like to give Hatch Homes the chance to earn your job, please give us a call today. We’re excited to meet you!