Whether you’re moving to a new area, ready to build a house from the ground up, or simply want to make some changes to your existing home, Houzz can be a fantastic resource. Although many people know the website as a source for all sorts of home design inspiration, with beautiful photo galleries, articles, and even shopping, lots of homeowners don’t realize they can also contact local professionals, including general contractors and decorators, using the site.
As you read the next several paragraphs, you will see details about how exactly to go through the process of perusing professionals, finding one you like, and contacting him or her using the Houzz platform on your desktop or laptop computer. With over 10 million experts in one place, there’s sure to be someone who is a perfect fit for you.
- Start searching – The best way to start looking for professionals on Houzz is to search for a home style you like. If, for instance, you are a big fan of beachfront living, you might want to look up “Coastal houses.” When an image catches your eye, look for the information about the professional who designed or built it. If you click on the expert’s photo, you will be taken to his or her Houzz profile.
- Scan the professional’s page – On Houzz, professionals’ profile pages are all laid out the same way. Once you become familiar with them, it will be very easy for you to find important information, such as phone numbers and service area, at a glance. On the right, under the header, for instance, you will see a phone number and other pertinent contact information. Furthermore, you can click the green “Contact Me” button to send the expert a direct message via Houzz.
- Make your expectations clear – To ensure you don’t waste your time or the home services professional’s time, it’s important to be clear about what your project entails from the start. In your first message, mention why you chose to message that individual (ie. “I love the photos of your work I’ve seen on Houzz!”) and what you are planning to do in your home (ie. “I would love for you to be part of our upcoming kitchen renovation. I think your mid-century modern style would suit our home well.”). You should also provide your contact information.
- Don’t hesitate to bring up the budget – Professionals who work in the home remodeling industry know that their clients don’t have unlimited amounts of money to spend. Therefore, you shouldn’t worry about discussing your budget with any professional you find on Houzz. It’s important to find out upfront if your financial situation and his or her fees are going to mesh.
- Use the platform – One of the greatest things about finding your next contractor, decorator, or specialist on Houzz is that you can actually use the website to help you prepare for your project. The two of you can collaborate easily by creating albums, saving images you love, and commenting on them. This is an excellent way to start putting together an online idea board for your remodel.
At Hatch Homes, we enjoy doing all sorts of remodeling jobs, and we hope you will consider us for your next project. We also love working alongside other professionals throughout our service area in the Carolinas and Virginia, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you’re putting together your home design and construction dream team!