Giving the outside of your home a good sprucing up is a great way to feel like you’ve really accomplished something with your day while making your neighborhood more attractive at the same time. After you’ve finished cleaning and doing odd jobs around your property, though, you are not alone if you still feel like your house just doesn’t look as good as it could. There’s probably a simple reason for this, but it might not have occurred to you yet.
As you read the rest of this guide, you’ll see a few curb appeal-related questions that will help you figure out what needs to be done to make the exterior of your home pop. Hopefully, it will make it easier for you to determine why you have that nagging feeling that your house isn’t totally right, no matter how much effort you put forth.
- Do the architectural features work with the house? – Depending on when your home was built, it’s possible that previous owners got sucked into trends that don’t actually do anything for the style of the home. If, for instance, you live in a Colonial style home, but there are Victorian gingerbread details on the front porch, it might be making things look a bit off. The same goes for incredibly contemporary touches, like a sleek front door, with a very traditional looking house.
- Do your trim and entry door colors pack a punch? – Many homeowners underestimate the importance of the hues they choose for their entry doors and exterior trim. The colors you pick for these details can completely change the look of your house for the better! If, for instance, your front door is currently a neutral grey or brown, consider going bold and painting it a fiery red or a serene blue, depending on the overall color of your home.
- Is your front walk unkempt? – Because you use your front walk every day, you may not realize if it has become a bit overgrown, cracked, or generally rundown. This can make your whole house look dingy and poorly cared for. Fortunately, fixing a walkway is fairly simple. You may want to hire professionals to lay new pavers or, if the stone itself is still in good shape, some simple landscaping along each side could make all the difference in the world!
- Do you have any plants outside? – Strategically placing hanging plants and planters around the exterior of your home, including on your front porch, is an excellent way to elevate its curb appeal instantly. Plants are inviting and cheerful, making everyone who approaches your home feel welcome. Furthermore, in the Carolinas, plants can live outdoors almost all year-round, so, unless you live in a particularly chilly region, you won’t have to worry about replacing them with other decor during the winter months.
- Do your shutters go with your windows? – Mismatched shutters and windows are a fairly common problem. Someone who owned your home before you may have purchased shutters they loved without giving much thought to the windows they would be installed on. If you take a long look at your shutters and realize they are too small for the scale of your windows, the wrong style for your house, or nailed into the siding, so they don’t function properly, replacing them will definitely make your home more attractive.
At Hatch Homes, we are willing to take on any project, even seemingly small ones, to give you the home of your dreams. If you would like to make some changes to the look of your house’s exterior, give us a call. One of our specialists will be happy to visit your property and give you a quote in the near future. We are excited to hear from you!