Common Questions About Dealing With Storm Damage

Homeowners all over the United States deal with storm damage from time to time; the Carolinas are no exception to this. People who reside in coastal regions of North Carolina and South Carolina may find themselves dealing with damage from hurricane-force winds and rain, while those who live inland have to contend with severe thunderstorms and even, in some regions, ice storms during the winter months. Knowing how to handle things once you’ve realized your home has storm damage can be a challenge, particularly if you’ve never had to deal with a similar situation in the past. As you read this guide, you will see several common questions about what to do after storm damage strikes.

Should I call a home inspector?

While there is not a simple “yes” or “no” answer to this question, the best response is that it is wise to allow a home inspector to take a look at your house following a bad storm, especially if you don’t see any noticeable damage when you walk around your property on your own. Remember, not all storm damage is obvious to the untrained eye, so it’s entirely possible that you missed an important red flag that a home inspector would instantly see. Furthermore, the more expert information your insurance company has about the damage to your house, the faster your claim is likely to be processed and paid out.

How do I know if a contractor is reliable?

If you haven’t ever hired a general contractor to do work on your home in the past, the process of figuring out who to work with to repair storm damage can be daunting. After all, you want to make sure the job is done right and doesn’t leave you with more problems to fix after the fact. The best place to start looking for a good general contractor is to speak with friends and family members who live locally. If you have recently moved to the Carolinas and don’t really know anyone yet, the internet can also be a great resource. There are dozens of trustworthy consumer review websites where you can learn about local service providers, including residential contractors.

What will my insurance cover?

The answer to this question depends entirely upon your personal homeowners’ insurance policy. Every policy is written differently and provides coverage for different types of damage. If you have questions about your coverage, don’t hesitate to contact a local insurance agent or to call your provider’s customer service line. Some homeowners feel embarrassed that they don’t know more about their insurance, but there’s nothing for you to be worried about! Insurance agents and customer service representatives are there for you and want to make sure you have the best possible experience filing a claim if you need to.

Once you’ve worked through some of the issues surrounding your recent storm damage experience, including talking to your insurance company and potentially having a home inspection, we hope you will contact the Hatch Homes office about allowing our team to do any necessary repairs for you. We have satisfied clients throughout both North Carolina and South Carolina, so you can trust our crew to do things right for you and your family. We take pride in our work and know how important your home is to you. We look forward to assisting you.

More than just a contractor.

Hatch is your partner for exterior remodeling.

Disclaimer: By hitting the “Submit” button with your information provided, you authorize Hatch Homes to reach out to you regarding questions about your project. Message and data rates apply. Consent is not a condition of purchase.