Could Mold in Your Home Be Making You Sick?

Mold On Siding

If you’ve recently noticed that you or other members of your household seem to be ill more than usual, there are, of course, a number of potential causes. You could have simply come into contact with a germ that is making its way through your family before running its course once and for all. If, however, the symptoms seem persistent and include respiratory problems, congestion, or a fever, you could be dealing with a residential mold infestation. As you read on, you’ll learn more about dealing with this problem and making sure it doesn’t continue affecting your family’s health.

What causes mold to grow?

All mold growth ultimately occurs because of excessive moisture and dampness. There are, though, numerous issues that can serve as the catalyst for a mold problem in a house. Often, for example, the problem begins with improperly installed siding that allows water to settle inside of the walls, ultimately leading to a mold infestation. In other cases, bathrooms and kitchens, which both have plenty of moist, warm spots, offer the “perfect storm” for mold to begin taking over a house.

How can I prevent mold growth from starting?

As with almost anything, total prevention is better than dealing with eliminating a mold infestation after it has started. There are a number of simple steps you can take to minimize the risk of a mold problem in your residence. You will learn about several of these in the next section.

    1. Keep lids on pots and pans – The condensation and moisture that is released during cooking can lead to mold growth over time. One way to greatly reduce the amount of condensation that escapes while you are making meals is to keep lids on pots and pans as much as possible.
    2. Open bedroom and bathroom windows for 15 minutes each morning – Each morning as you get ready for the day, make a habit of opening the windows in your bedroom and bathroom for about 15 minutes. This will allow condensation to escape as you shower, use the sink, and go about your routine. This tip is especially important for people who use humidifiers in their bedrooms overnight.
    3. Have your insulation inspected – Poorly insulated homes are more likely to have mold issues than well-insulated ones. Therefore, it’s an excellent idea to have your residence’s insulation inspected if it has been a while since it was put in. You might find that your insulation has disintegrated or otherwise deteriorated, leaving your family at risk.
    4. Visually inspect corners and damp areas – Corners, particularly near windows, and other potentially damp spaces, such as bathroom grout, should be visually inspected on a regular basis. If you see anything alarming, such as patches of brown, black, or green mold, it’s a good idea to call a professional to take a look.
How can I get rid of existing mold?

If it becomes apparent that you already have mold in your home, you obviously need to get rid of it as quickly as possible to prevent future health problems for your family. The best way to accomplish this is to hire a reputable local expert who regularly deals with mold removal. Most regions are home to multiple companies that specialize in this area.

If you aren’t sure where to start looking for a reliable mold removal business, check online reviews. Or, if you have close friends and family in your area of North Carolina or South Carolina, contact them to see if they have ever hired mold removal experts. Sometimes, nothing is better than word-of-mouth recommendations when it comes to the home services industry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *