Roof replacement is an expensive home improvement project, but it’s necessary to maintain the integrity of your home. These are some of the signs that it may be time to get a new roof now, or signs to look out for in the future.
If your roof is past its 20th birthday, chances are it’s time to replace it. You should get a roof inspection done twice a year to check for signs of aging and wear. Hatch Homes can help set you up for a roof inspection if you’re unsure of where to start or the areas to start looking at first. In the meantime, here are some easy things you can search for, even without specialized training.
- Leaks and water damage – leaks and water damage are one of the most significant signs that it’s time to call in a professional to evaluate and fix your roof. To check for this, look in your attic for dark spots on the ceiling or any visible water leaks
Missing shingles – if your roof is missing shingles, the underlay of the roof isn’t adequately protected against water and weather. If this isn’t fixed, a more significant issue will soon arise.
- Cracked or curled shingles – if shingles are noticeably curling or cracked, it’s a sign the roof is at the end of its lifespan. If you spot this, call in a professional to further investigate.
- Granules in your gutters – granules are small pieces from the asphalt shingles. If you start noticing lots of this in your gutter, it’s a sign the shingles are becoming very worn down and need to be replaced.
- Cracked or broken flashing – flashing can be found around chimneys and skylights, and it is meant to be added protection for areas more susceptible to leaks. If this flashing is cracked or broken, you need to get it replaced or repaired before a leak develops.
- Discoloration – this may not be a reason to replace the roof, but it’s something to keep in mind when the time does come to replace your roof. Algae can form on shingles, which creates discoloration and dark spots. To avoid this, next time you replace your roof be sure to invest in shingles with 15-year algae resistance. Most of those shingles include a 15-year warranty so that if algae develops, you’re covered.
Now that you know what to look for be sure you know when it’s time to call in a professional. If any of the issues above are found on your roof, contact Hatch Homes to schedule a consultation. A consultation with us can give you an idea of what your options are, and what pricing will look like depending on the severity of the problem.