Now more than ever before, it is important for people to find ways to stay healthy at home. This year has thrown curveballs into just about everyone’s life, some more permanent than others. If, for example, you work for a company that previously had an office, but has now decided to remain fully remote, you might be living a whole new lifestyle on a day-to-day basis. Or, if your children are now doing full-time remote learning, your days probably look much different than they did even six months ago.
Here, you’ll discover 10 of the best ways you can stay healthy at home, not just in 2020, but well into the future.
- Make your bed each day – Making your bed is an important task to do every morning, even if (and, perhaps, especially if) you aren’t leaving the house. Properly making your bed can set the tone for your entire day because it allows you to begin with a sense of accomplishment.
- Pay attention to your breakfast – Eating a healthy, well-balanced breakfast is key to starting your day on the right foot, no matter what your plans are. Strive to include proteins, healthy fats, and fresh fruits in your breakfast every day.
- Get active early – The earlier in the day you get moving, the better your day is likely to be. Whether you do yoga, go for a walk, or hit the gym, getting active as soon as you get up is a great way to stay healthy.
- Don’t work in your bedroom – If you’ve had to set-up a home office space for the first time, make sure it isn’t where you sleep. Studies have proven that having your workspace in your bedroom leads to anxiety.
- Create an ongoing to-do list – Remembering everything you have to do in a day can be overwhelming. Keep an ongoing to-do list and mark things off as you complete them. This will ease anxiety and give you a feeling of satisfaction each time you finish a task!
- Stick to mealtimes – Sticking to regular mealtimes is an excellent way to keep to a routine when you’re spending a lot of time at home. This is especially important if you have children in your home; family meals have been proven to have numerous social and psychological benefits.
- Take time for you – Taking time to recharge each day is crucial for both your mental and physical health. Whether you enjoy reading a book, taking a bubble bath, going for a run, or something else, even 15-20 minutes of time to do something you love can be advantageous from a health perspective.
- Don’t use devices before bed – Putting your phone, tablet, and laptop down at least 30 minutes before bed can improve your sleep and reduce stress. Try to get in this habit, even if it is difficult at first.
- Set work hours – One of the challenges of working from home is that you never really get to leave your behind. Due to this, it is important to set boundaries in regard to your work hours. Once you’re off-the-clock turn off alerts from the office and focus on your life at home with your loved ones.
- Go to bed at the same time each day – Giving yourself a strict bedtime is smart, especially because it can be tempting to stay up late when you don’t have a commute the next morning. Over time, however, your body will thank you for having a regular sleep routine and you will notice positive changes in your body and in your outlook!
Take these 10 tips to heart to live your healthiest life ever at home!