Every year, new home exterior trends emerge. 2020 is no different. If you’ve been thinking about making updates to your North Carolina or South Carolina home, there’s no time like the present to get started. The dawn of a new decade is ideal for transforming the appearance of your house. As you read this guide, you’ll learn more about the top 5 exterior house trends in 2020.
- Don’t be afraid of dark colors – For quite some time now, homeowners have gravitated toward light-colored houses with the occasional dark accent. Now, though, more and more homeowners in the Carolinas and across the nation are choosing dark siding for their homes. Deep charcoal greys, burgundys, and navy blues are all excellent choices. Your home is sure to stand out from the crowd when you give the dark side a chance!
- Create outdoor living rooms – This trend is especially popular in Southern states like North Carolina and South Carolina where the weather is favorable for much of the year. Instead of purchasing basic patio furniture, make your home’s deck or front porch a true extension of your interior living space. Invest in comfortable chairs and couches that are rated for exterior use, add pillows and other accent features, and anchor the area with an indoor-outdoor rug.
- Don’t be afraid of glass walls – Some homeowners are intimidated by the idea of glass walls with floor-to-ceiling windows. This trend, though, can really allow you to enjoy the natural beauty that the Carolinas have to offer. If you’re concerned about privacy, consider investing in windows that have built-in blinds. These don’t require dusting and can generally be controlled at the flip of a switch.
- Quality matters – Although the quality of the materials used to build homes has always been important, homeowners in the 2020s are focusing on using long-lasting, high-quality products more than ever before. If you’re planning any exterior renovations in 2020, make sure you invest in your home.
Consider, for example, fiber cement siding instead of basic vinyl. Or, if you’re planning to have a new roof installed, look into architectural asphalt shingles rather than a generic three-tab style. Furthermore, vet any subcontractors who will be doing tile work or other specialty jobs. You need to make sure they’re highly qualified as well.
- Go grey – Using multiple shades of grey on the exterior of your home is incredibly trendy right now. The good thing about this look, though, is that if it’s done correctly, it will have a timeless appearance that won’t date itself for decades. Work with a local Carolina designer if you need help selecting color combinations and materials.
The team at Hatch Homes offers a variety of exterior remodeling services, including siding installation and roofing jobs. If you are interested in updating the appearance of your North Carolina or South Carolina residence for the new decade, contact us to schedule a free consultation. We can’t wait to help make your home renovation dreams come true!