North Carolina, South Carolina, and the rest of the American Southeast is ideal for those who love outdoor living. Whether you’re a Carolina native or you simply moved South as fast as you could, spending time in the great outdoors is one of the perks of living in such a stunning area of the country.
If you have a wood deck on your Carolina property, however, you might be wondering how you can make it last for as long as possible. Fortunately, there are some great tips that can help you keep your household’s outdoor living space in great condition for years to come. Here, you’ll discover five top tips for maintaining your wood deck both now and well into the future.
- Clean your deck on a regular basis – While cleaning the inside of your house is probably second-nature to you, cleaning your deck might not be something you do on a regular basis — but, you should! Regularly scrubbing your deck boards with a gentle solution made from a gallon of water, eight ounces of mild detergent, and two ounces of oxygen bleach will keep them free from dirt and grime.
- Pay the price for professional resealing – When it comes to having your deck sealed — this protects against insects, inclement weather, and other potential causes of damage — it’s worth it to pay a reputable professional to do the job every two to three years. This way, you can rest assured your deck is truly protected.
- Inspect your deck annually – At least once per year, it is crucial to give your deck a thorough inspection to look for any issues. These problems could include cracked boards, wobbly railings, or even patches of mold growth. It is also smart to walk underneath your deck to test all the posts for stability. If you notice anything alarming, call a local professional like Hatch Homes to perform an expert inspection right away. Your family’s safety should always be your priority!
- Invest in a grease catcher – If your household often grills, a grease catcher is one of the best small investments you can make. Grease stains can be next-to-impossible to get out of wood deck boards, so a grease catcher under your grill can be a lifesaver.
- Think about your lifestyle – Taking good care of your deck doesn’t just mean following a generic checklist every year or two. It also means thinking about your family lives. If, for example, you have pets that like to run on your deck daily, investing in outdoor area rugs will protect the wood from getting scratched by their nails. Or, if you have small children, taking care of your deck properly might mean giving them a safe area to play.
No matter what you need to make your house into your dream home, the Hatch Homes team is here for you. Whether your deck needs an upgrade or you want to overhaul your entire property, we want to help.