When you purchase a house, you automatically incur all sorts of responsibilities you may have never had before. Many of these tasks are related to home maintenance, including lawn care. If you’ve previously lived with your parents or in apartments, the idea of caring for your yard is probably entirely new for you, and you likely don’t have any of the necessary equipment. In this guide, you’ll discover a helpful list of outdoor maintenance equipment that every homeowner should have in his or her arsenal.
- Work gloves – A high-quality pair of work gloves is essential for every homeowner. You are sure to use your gloves on a near-daily basis for a variety of tasks. Work gloves protect your hands from scratches, bug bites, and dirt no matter what you’re doing outdoors. They are especially useful for weeding and gardening! Remember, though; some work glove brands are better than others, so do your research and read reviews prior to making a purchase.
- Pruning shears – Pruning shears are a great investment for homeowners in the Carolinas, where foliage tends to be abundant! Having a pair of pruning shears on-hand is likely to save you a great deal of money in the long run because you won’t have to hire a professional service to trim your trees and shrubs. It is worth noting that you should purchase your pruning shears in-store instead of online. This way, you can test various pairs to find a style that is comfortable for you and won’t leave blisters.
- Various shovels and trowels – Having several shovels and trowels to choose from is a good idea. This way, you will be prepared for a variety of chores. If, for instance, you decide to plant small perennials along the edge of your walkway, a small trowel would be useful. If, on the other hand, though, you plan to dig out an entire flower bed and redo it, a large shovel would be the right tool. Shovels and trowels are usually affordable, so you won’t have to spend too much money to purchase multiple sizes.
- Rake – Even if you live in a region of the Carolinas where the weather is temperate all year, it’s a good idea to purchase a well-made rake. If you reside in an area where leaves fall in the autumn, it is an absolute necessity! Raking leaves is significantly easier when you have a quality rake at the ready. Plus, by raking your own lawn, you will save a lot of money over the years!
- Weedeater – If you want to maintain a manicured lawn, you must own a weed eater. This piece of equipment will allow you to remove unwanted weeds and tall grass from areas you can’t get to with a conventional lawnmower. It is wise to purchase a battery-powered style, so you don’t have to worry about dragging a cord around your yard with you while you go about your chores.
These are just a few of the items every homeowner should buy to care for his or her lawn properly. Other needs will depend upon the specific foliage and features on your property. People who have pools, for example, require products that others don’t need. If you need assistance making your shopping list, don’t hesitate to consult with a professional landscaper.